Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 1: Traveling

Day 1

Traveling

My day began today at 3:30 in the morning. MaryAnne and I had a 10:00am plane to catch in New York. I was able to keep myself occupied by reading, watching movies, and sleeping for the first long 15-hour flight. We then had a 2-hour layover in Hong Kong and a second flight that was another two hours. It took me a very long time to go through security because I have four video cameras, two microphones, chargers, wires, a lap top, etc.. in my back pack, and I had to take everything out.. twice! It was a bit entertaining.

Finally we reached Phnom Penh, Cambodia! I met our driver, Narith, who will be taking us everywhere for the next two weeks… he is very nice and he speaks English fairly well. I was already in shock just on our drive from the airport to the hotel. On the streets the main source of transportation are motos (small motorcycle bikes). I saw entire families sitting on one bike! Many people rode on the back of trucks as well. I don’t think that there are many traffic regulations here because drivers do not stop before they turn a corner, they drive on the opposite sides of the road, and there is barely any organization what so ever on the road. There must be accidents here all the time! The hotel we are staying at is called the Imperial Garden Hotel & Villa, and it is beautiful! I look forward to the rest of

my trip. I will keep you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment