Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This is the end of this trip, but not the end of the road...


So finally my journey has come to an end... The past two weeks have gone by so unbelievably fast.  I appreciate all that I have been able to do and I feel that MaryAnne and I have made the absolute best use of our time here. As I think about leaving, I am overcome with emotions knowing that I am coming back to my beautiful college campus, my very own house where I live with my family, and even a car that I have to drive around. At the same time, I am leaving here the children who walk miles to get to their one room schoolhouse each day with very few supplies and no electricity.  Then they walk home in the thick mud to their grass huts where they will then go to work to support their families.  I have never before realized how truly lucky I am. 

         I have formed some very special relationships with the people that I have met here.  I don’t even think they realize the impact that they have each made on my life.  It makes me sad not knowing if or when I will see these individuals again, but I will continue to keep in contact with them so that the relationships continue to grow. 

         Just because this short trip is over, does not mean I am through with the issues of poverty in Cambodia. It is actually just the beginning for me. I have since developed a passion for these people and even though I am only a single person, I would love to help better the lives of people here in any way that I can. When I return, I will work very hard to create my video documentary with the footage that I have retrieved the past two weeks.  When I share my video with others my hope is to create a better understanding of what life is like here and engage each person to want to make a difference as well. I plan to use my video as a marketing tool to help raise funds for the many needs of the schools and the clinic here.  I feel that as a college student it is the perfect time to explore internationally to better understand different cultures and ways of life.  It is the perfect time to get my peers and others involved with an issue of great importance; and it is the perfect time to make a difference in the lives of others. 

         Once again, thank you to all who made this experience possible.  I look forward to my return so that I can share the many stories I have.  And thank you for following along on my journey…

 

                                                      Until next time,

                                                               Brittany Decker

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment